In person – SOLD OUT
Prof: Faustine Kooijmann
The purpose of this class is to give the fundamentals of acting techniques with improvisation exercises and preparation for scene work (contemporary scenes). This class mixes improvisation techniques (Second city, UCB, The Groundlings) with Actors Studio methods (Elia Kazan, Lee Strasberg, Sanford Meisner, Stella Adler) in order to develop intentional listening, spontaneity, the accuracy of emotions, the body and movement, the present moment and imagination, letting go and group spirit.
We will study contemporary scenes from French or American film and television repertoire but also contemporary scenes from the French Theater repertoire. We will focus on the construction and the complexity of the character, the narrative arc of the character as well as the bias of interpretation, acting choices and the intensity of the acting.
The actors will be able to use tools from improvisation and from more traditional methods in their scenes.
TIMES: Tuesdays, 8 – 10 pm
LEVEL: All levels
DATES: 12 classes from September 20 to December 6, 2022. Trial class without commitment on September 20. Show on December 13 at the Gene Frankel Theater.
LOCATION: Ripley Grier Studios, 520 8th Ave, Manhattan, 16th floor. The Studio number will be displayed on a screen.
PRICE AND REGISTRATION: As the course is SOLD OUT, you can register on the waiting list at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you first want to take part to the trial class, please send an email to email@example.com with your name, last name, phone number and the class you’re interested in. Then you’ll have the possibility to come for free to the first class and then subscribe to the standard price before the seconde class.
If you haven’t done so in the past trimester, we ask that you sign a waiver before enrolling to class.
Sliding scale available upon request. Please contact us via email for more information.
Preventive measures for in-person classes, due to Covid-19.
Your health is important to us.
L’Atelier Théâtre follows NY State Covid 19 guidelines strictly. We thank you in advance for following the instructions given by the studio where the rehearsal takes place as well as the one given by your teacher.
- The wearing of the mask is optional.
- The students willing to enroll for an in-person class must sign a waiver before the beginning of classes.
- To know more about the safety measures taken by the studio, please click on this link.
- In case, the city/state orders a new shutdown before the beginning of classes, the class will be canceled and the students will be fully refunded.
- If a shutdown occurs during the semester, the class will continue on zoom.
- If it occurs during the first 3 weeks of classes, the students can elect to cancel their subscription and be refunded pro rata to the remaining courses.
- If a shutdown occurs later in the year, there will be no refund as the class will continue on zoom.
- In the case one student becomes ill with covid, the class will temporarily move to zoom for a period of 2 weeks, so that students have the time to get tested and quarantine accordingly.
- In the case one student is a contact case or feels sick, we ask that you do not come to class before receiving a negative test.
- Finally, in the event that the city/state of NY decides to reduce the number of people allowed per class, we will continue the face-to-face classes with an alternate schedule (half of the group will spend every other week). A refund will be possible if this happens during the first 3 classes.
L’Atelier Theatre reserves the right to cancel a class if the minimum amount of students is not reached. In that particular case, class fees will be reimbursed.
For further information, send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org